Sunday 24 June 2007

Launching the project

Trying to figure out how this "Villa Medusa/Big Brother in the Gallery" will work out we kind of had a major meeting today. I'm a bit concerned about the structure of the project and try to stress the importance of clarity when approaching other artists from here to join in the collaboration. The discussion turned into more clear ideas and Jan suggested that mine and Jan's differences in approaches towards both art and artists will be the starting point in a "bad cop-curator v/s good cop-curator"-approach, where the discrepancy between our curatorial approaches can be the initiating point towards describing the project. Jan and I have had this "bad cop/good cop" for a long time. I remember once in a seminar I invited Jan to participate in, a lecture at Robert Meyer art school in Oslo many years ago, where we were talking about curatorial approaches. Already then he was advocating how artists should just let go of their work and not fuss about what the curator does with their work, while I was advocating that the artist is responsible for their work at the end of the day and that the curator has the role of the mediator between the artist and the spectator. Whatever. It is a complicated discussion and maybe I'll write a proper essay about it while here that can be published somewhere else.

What the project really aims at? It will maybe come as a revelation soon. I hope. It is a "work in process" and I need to process it a bit and will most likely turn into the "bad cop-critic" of the whole thing while in the project itself, hehee. I think that this is in the likings of Jan's anyway.

No comments: