Sunday 1 July 2007

Cratedigging & Radioshow

Johnny Dollars is one of several foreigners who has found a new way of life in Seoul as Englishteachers. Up on till now, just about every foreigner I have met during our stay here has been , or is currently catering Koreans with the new Latin. Apparently it is short hours and good pay, which in Johnny`s case, gives him more time to work on other projects like producing and DJing. This saturday, Mr. Dollars invited me to go record hunting with him in the Myeongdong area, which besides being a place for high-end shopping centers and teens in love, offers the biggest concentration of second hand vinyl in the country. Johnny brought his friend Stuart from New Zealand, ( or DiscoStu amongst friends ) digging as well. After hitting a couple of record shelves ( the shops are actually small booths in underground shopping centers ), I realize quickly to my big disappointment that 45s or singles, are non-existent in Korea. I found a couple of boxes, but they only contained records badly stacked on top of eachother with no sleeve, and they were all from someone`s rubbish country and western collection. I was kind of hoping to find something worth picking up on 45s, knowing that the American Army base in Seoul has been around long enough to have seen some records finding their way across the ocean. I then started to look for some Korean 70s stuff, as I heard some good records at Bar SUM in Hong-Dae earlier in the week. After a couple hours, we felt that we had seen through enough, and went to grab a couple of beers, and Johnny was also meeting up with a writer from Blues & Soul magazine, ( Carey from Wales, and her friend Yoyo from Texas )that was going to try to promote his new party and a new website of his( sorry, I can`t remember the name of it, but I`ll try to post it later ).
We then headed to Itaewon where I was going to record a show, for his internetradioshow at cheekymonkeyradio. Some new findings, but mostly records from last weeks gig at Bar Nana. Actually, the new findings in fact never made it to Johnny`s studio, as I lost and retrieved those records TWICE in numerous bars, and they are waiting for me behind the counter at a bar in Freedom Town. Londoner Jordan, friend of Johnnys who is interesting enough also an englishteacher, stopped by the studio with a nice bag of 45s, and made it a great evening, sharing lots of new sounds I haven`t heard before. I will post a link to the radioshow when it`s online.

3 comments:

LadyBird said...

Saturday evening in the ironing room/studio was superb!! Listening to the Cheekymonkey show now...sounding great will be up on the site tomorrow, check out:

www.cheekymonkeyradio.com

X

P.S. Bjorn would you send me those pics?

dollars said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dollars said...

Indeed! Saturday was the most fun I've had with my clothes on for a long time! I am desperately looking forward to rotating my knee caps at Bar Nana in Itaewon this Friday when Bjorn will be taking the helm of the good ship Funk! 11:30 pm - 1 am. Bjorn - you're flyer design needs to be modified ASAP! Send it to me.
Erlend - Thanks for coming around and cheers for the poem! Fantastic stuff!